Thursday, October 28, 2010

Meet Lancaster Instructor Laurel Anderson: In Her Own Words

I learned to sew when I was very young but waited until my first born started school to learn to quilt. I joined a group making quilts for a local homeless shelter. They loved having my child around while I learned the basics of quilting. The quilters made the mistake of complementing my color choices. This gave me the courage to tackle a quilt on my own. It took three before I was hooked. That was 16 years ago.

My quilting studio is in the family room. It helps to be close to the family and kitchen. I can multi-task... like sew and help my daughter learn her spelling words at the same time. Teach your family that all the best homes have the iron out at all times!

I love flowing curvy appliqué. I am happiest when I am designing or product testing. Sometimes I make a quilt two or three times to explore its color possibilities. My china cabinet is filled with hand-dyed fabric.
.
Early in my teaching career I had a student arrive with three suitcases of fabric; this gave her plenty of fabrics to choose from. My Iris design includes antique brocades and old lace. It was turned into a full length coat with embroidery and feather stitching and is shown in my book, Appliqué Workshop. More information is also available at my website, Whispercolor.com.

Laurel is teaching the following classes at the AQS Quilt Show and Contest - Lancaster, March 16 - 19, 2011, at the Lancaster County Convention Center..

#43102 Heart and Teacup Quilt

#43501 Iris Panel Quilt










#43504 Blushing Lady Tulip Quilt










#43508 Fabric Vases










#45502 Cheat at Color




Click here to register for the Lancaster show and to sign up for one of Laurel's awesome classes.

No comments: