Wednesday, June 30, 2010
It is almost time for the AQS Quilt Show in Knoxville, July 14 - 17.
You can still call AQS at 270-898-7903 (ask for the Quilt Show office) and we can hold tickets for you to pick up and pay for at the show to hold your space in the workshops, lectures or special events. We have now closed the online registration so the staff can make final preparations for the show. ALL registration for the Knoxville show will close at 3:00 p.m. on July 2. After that date, you will need to check at the Workshop Desk at the show for ticket availability.
Speaking of special events, have you signed up for the Quilters' Fun Night with Alex Anderson and Bonnie Browning? Wait until you see the prizes we have for this event - they already total more than $1,000. Here are some hints: fabric cutter, fabric kits, note cards, books, crystals, special umbrella, fat quarter kits, and more. You won't want to miss having a fun evening with Alex and Bonnie on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.!
The Step Back in Time Progressive Dinner on Wednesday evening is now sold out.
Tickets are still available for An Evening with Alex Anderson on Thursday at 7 p.m., and for Down on the Farm with Eleanor Burns at 7 p.m. on Friday. Learn and laugh with Alex and Eleanor at these special events.
There are still some openings in some great workshops - learn how Bethany Reynolds has adapted her Magic Stack-n-Whack method to some new designs, find out how Margaret Miller puts together Strips That Sizzle, how Joan Shay makes those beautiful 3-D flowers, or see how Cynthia England makes her pieced pictures.
You can view the class descriptions and see the project photos on the AQS Web site. Once you've made a choice, you can call AQS at 270-898-7903 to have your tickets held for you. You can also just view the printed registration guide by clicking here if you need to check your supply lists.
Before you get busy celebrating the July 4th holiday, secure your tickets for the Knoxville show. We'll see you at the Knoxville Convention Center, July 14 - 17.
The AQS Quilt Show Staff
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
You can view or print the registration guide online, or click here to just see the Class Directory of all of the special events, lectures and workshops at this year's Des Moines AQS Quilt Show.
Our quilt show staff has been busy preparing a fun week for you in Des Moines. Don't miss these special events with some internationally-known personalities:
* Kick off your week at the show by attending The Quilter's Link at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, when staff from the Greater Des Moines Visitors Bureau, Iowa Events Center and AQS give you information to make the most of your week - around the city, the convention center and the show.
* Eleanor Burns: Quilt Block on American Barns at 7 p.m. on Wednesday - See what our favorite farmer's daughter is up to now as she pays tribute to rural America's Barn Quilt Blocks.
* If you've ever wondered what's involved with writing a quilt book, learn the ins and outs from four AQS authors: Jean Biddick, Joe Cunningham, Kimberly Einmo and Zena Thorpe, moderated by Andi Reynolds, AQS Executive Book Editor - it's all at 5 p.m. on Thursday.
* Joe Cunningham shares the life of Joseph Hedley, the original Joe the Quilter, who lived in England from 1750 to 1830 through quilts and songs at 7 p.m. on Thursday
* Jim Shore, internationally renowned artist and creator of the Heartwood Creek collectibles will appear at 2 p.m. on Friday for a signing event of his collectibles and book, A Passion for Quilts, in The National Quilt Museum's booth inside the exhibit hall.
* At 7 p.m. on Friday, attend An Evening with Jim Shore and learn about the artist Jim Shore and how he came to include quilts in his work.
* Are you addicted to quilting? Learn the symptoms at Brunch with Flavin Glover at 9 a.m. on Saturday. Treatment goals include elimination of dishes, redefining the meaning of clean, and finding time to quilt. :)
* Learn many techniques at the All-Star Review at 1 p.m. on Saturday when the instructors each demonstrate a different technique - you'll receive a booklet with handouts from each instructor.
Advanced registration is recommended as many classes fill very quickly. You can register by mailing the Registration Form to AQS, PO Box 3290, Paducah, KY 42003, by faxing the form to 270-898-1173, or click here to register online. Telephone registration will not open until July 28.
To book your hotel room, click here for a listing of the hotels that have given special rates to the AQS Quilt Show attendees. Call the hotel directly to book your room, and be sure to tell them you are attending the AQS Quilt Show.
Make your plans now to attend the 3rd Annual AQS Quilt Show in Des Moines, Iowa.
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Recently the Lancaster New Era newspaper recognized the quilters with the Red Rose Award. Congratulations quilters! This is a well-deserved honor.
The Registration Guide for this show is at the printer now. You can order a printed copy of the Guide by sending your name, address, and $2, or call the Quilt Show office and provide this information and your credit card -- you will be on the list to receive the Registration Guide as soon as we receive it.
We are currently working on getting the information ready for on-line registration. Within a few days we will have online registration ready to go.
We have a great line-up of instructors:
Jean Biddick, Betty Blais, Mary Blythe, Eleanor Burns, Karen Combs, Joe Cunningham, Kimberly Einmo, Nancy Fiedler, Flavin Glover, Diane Gloystein, Jeana Kimball, Dorothy Koldeway, Jan Krentz, Laurie Malm, Cheri Meineke-Johnson, Sharon Meisenheimer, Marti Michell, Sharon Pederson, Andi Reynolds, Jim Shore, Helen Squire, Zena Thorpe
There are no evening classes this year, but we have planned some fun, special events for you. Don't miss seeing what is new with Eleanor Burns on Wednesday, learn about Joe the Quilter with Joe Cunningham on Thursday, and discover the art and the man behind the Heartwood Creek Collectibles, Jim Shore, on Friday; and have brunch with Flavin Glover on Saturday morning.
There will be more than 1,000 quilts on display at this year's AQS Quilt Show in Des Moines. Make your plans now to attend. You can book your hotel rooms -- click here for the listing of hotels with special rates for AQS attendees. Call the hotel directly to book your hotel room. Be sure to tell them you are attending the AQS Quilt Show, October 6 - 9, 2010.
Thursday, June 3, 2010
What’s coming down? What’s not?
And, so now you have heard the real story(article used with permission)
about the demolition of the Executive Inn from J. Patrick Kerr, Executive Director of the Paducah-McCracken County Convention and Expo Center. That will be a step in the right direction.
Executive Show Director, AQS
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
There are five categories:
*Bed Quilts - Hand Quilted
*Bed Quilts - Machine Quilted
*Wall Quilts - Hand Quilted
*Wall Quilts - Machine Quilted
More than $44,000 in cash awards will be given to the winners of this contest. The Best of Show winner will receive $10,000. Other special awards are: $5,000 each for Best Hand Workmanship, Best Machine Workmanship, and Best Longarm Workmanship. The Best Wall Quilt will receive $3,000. There are additional awards in each category: $1,500 for first place, $1,000 for second place, and $750 for third place.
Enter today - you can't win if you don't enter. Last year's Best of Show winner in Knoxville entered a show for the very first time.
If you have any questions about entering the contest, call AQS at 270-898-7903 and ask for the Quilt Show office.